Sunday, July 22, 2007

the kid comes out . . . sort of

Several weeks ago our son came out to us. Not that he's not gay - but that he's an atheist. I guess that we shouldn't be surprised. Eddy and I have been doubting our faith openly (at home, not at church). He has been reading Richard Dawkins since grade school. And the craziest people in our extended families are the most religious.

At sixteen, I am sure that he is not finished sorting out his beliefs. He comes to church, hangs out with church friends and his fundamentalist cousins, going through all of the motions. (Where has he learned that from?)

I am saddened by his admission on two counts. First, he is keeping secrets from many people close to him. Second, I am just plain sad that he doesn't believe in God. I don't know what to believe myself, but I am saddened that my son doesn't believe. What is up with that?

But even more so, I am astounded that my son feels comfortable talking about this to us. I am thrilled that he doesn't see thinking as dangerous. Maybe we are doing something right.

Bea

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger A Troll At Sea said...

Bea:

This is where parenthood REALLY starts to pay off -- where you begin to know your children as "people." And people say that this is where you start to pay... people say such stupid things...

Present company excluded, of course.

Great news.
Hang in there.
T@C

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:48:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

So good Bea, I told my mom all sorts of truths, and I can only imagine what she was thinking on the inside. All she showed me was love and support. Keep up the love dear one.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

That he can be comfortable talking with you is all that matters. At age sixteen there will be many ebbs and flows to his faith.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

That's really good that your son can honestly express himself with you. My 25 year old daughter is an atheist who lives like a loving Christian, so I believe God is in her heart. I think God works in every person, whether they believe or not! Or we can say "love" works in them.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home